My momma the one - eyed monster!

Today I didn't exactly work from my home. Actually, I didn't do much work at all. I was the designated driver for my mom today. Ok, not designated driver as in "Let momma get sloshed to the gills on Tequila Sunrises , drive her home & pour her into bed" designated driver. My mom had cataract surgery today, so I got to play chauffer- in her new car!

So, I packed up my laptop, my leads, flyers that still needed to be cut-out, business cards, and a self-improvement book. Mom had to be in the city by 7:15. I had to go to her house to meet her(about 20 minutes or so away) and then we went to the surgery center (about 20 minutes or so away) so you can imagine what time I left my house this morning. They have you come into the surgery center like 2 hours ahead of time.

So we get to the center and mom checks in and we wait for 1/2 hour or so. I pull out the old laptop and Ta-Da! Wait! No wireless connection???? Pooh!

It actually turned out to be a blessing as I got a bunch of files cleaned out, cleaned out "my pictures", and also the emails in my outlook express (personal email).

They called mom in to get her in a gown and all that jazz. I continue with my computer stuff until they call me to come sit with her and wait for another 1/2 hour or more. The doc comes in and talks with us a little. I ask how long the actual surgery is. He says about 20 minutes. He leaves.

Someone else comes in. Questions. "What is your date of birth?" "What eye will the doctor be working on today?" Even though there is a lavendar X or something over her right eye so they don't goof. Just double checking.

I am not criticizing the fact that they mark you. I was quite delighted when I had surgery 3 yrs ago that someone thought to put a big old X over my left kidney. I am a pretty mellow person, but....take out the wrong kidney and I might fuss just a little.

Anyway, someone else comes in, Questions. "What is your date of birth?" "What eye will the doctor be working on today?" Even though there is a lavendar X or something over her right eye so they don't goof. Just double checking.

Finally, they wisk her away. I take a few minutes to run down to the cafe for a bite to eat. I rush back with in 25 minutes. And wait...and wait....I figure no ones come out with any bad news, so it must be all good news.

Finally the doc came out. I walk over to him and he says, "Why don't we step in here." An office. No big deal.

He says, "We had a little problem." Then all kinds of things run through my head like, "What happened? What have you done to my mother?"

It turns out he had a hard time getting the cataract out or something. He put in the lense and for some reason it wasn't working (already forgot how he explained it), so they used the old-fashioned kind of lense. He had to cut a little speck more of the eye to fit the other one in. So now, my momma looks like a one - eyed monster!

Ok, all joking aside my momma is doing fine- just talked to her a short while ago. Tomorrow, I take her back for a check-up. In 3 weeks, she has the other one done.

So me and my one-eyed mommy will be spending a bit-o-mommy-daughter-time together. And that's always good.

Side note: The nurse was telling Mom that I should have gotten a connection as they have wireless. I didn't see it on my list of available connections.

So anyway my dear bloggy friend's, if I'm not around for a day or two it's for a good reason! Later!

P.S. Oh yeah, I got to drive that new car home! I didn't think I liked big cars, but that is pretty plush. Lots of bells and whistles. I was scared to touch any buttons :-)

1 comments:

Stacie said...

I really enjoyed reading this! stopping by from Harriet's Comment Challenge!