It's Friday Fragment's & VGNO!

Funny how quickly things can change. If you read yesterday's post, Ron lost his job-the place was closing the doors today. Well, Ron's  back to work (at the same place) ! His boss called yesterday (from wherever he is) and apparently they ARE NOT closing the shop- at least for a few more weeks. He asked Ron if he was still on board. Ron, of course played hard to get! The bosses wife called later, asking him to stay for as long as they stay open.  Now we sit & wait for him to lose his job again- for the 3rd time!

On to some Friday Fragments


You know what really irks me? Drivers that use their cell phones while driving. But you want to know what bugged me almost as bad?

The other day, I was passing the middle school just as they were preparing to release the kids. Here was a lady, pulled over (good) on her cell phone. She was 1/2 in the road, in between the two parking lots they have at the school (bad). It's a small road. Buses were coming and going, and traffic had to literally stop and take turns to pass her.

Now I want to know...instead of blocking traffic, why couldn't she have pulled into one of the two parking lots?

Do you want to know what's even worse? Drivers that write Friday Fragments on a little scrap of paper (while driving down the road)  after driving past the road blocking cell phone chatting woman. Now who would do a thing like that?

Did you know that you can multiply any number by 9, and the answer will always equal 9?

Check it out:
9x1=9 (9+0=9)
9x2=18 (1+8=9)
9x3=27 (2+7=9)

This even works for larger numbers...

9x125= 1125 (1+1+2+5=9)
9x999= 8991 (8+9+9+1= 27; 2+7=9)

I figured this out a few years ago when I was working at a school helping kids who were "at risk".

Cool, huh? Tell your kids- they can always check their answers that way!

More interesting stuff


Do you know what a Hoodoo is? I didn't either. See page 45 for the answer. Oh yeah, there are no pages on this blog. The answer is at the bottom of this post :-)

Winter is coming, so here are a few facts...

Ok, some of you are already experiencing winter-like conditions!




Did you know that you lose between 7% and 55% of your total body heat through the head. THAT's why your mother insisted you wear your hat! She loves you & wants you to be warm1

and... that 10 inches of snow is equal to about 1 inch of water. Heavy wet snow (oh yeah, New York lake effect!)has 4-5 inches of snow to one inch of water.

Ba-Humbug!

Ok, I guess Secret Santa just isn't going to happen!  I only had 2 responses, so I'm calling it off. I know it's a tough economy and we're all busy. I just thought it would be fun. Hey, we have fun anyway! Maybe we can do a holiday recipe exchange or something...hmmmm...

Virtual Girls Night Out

Ok, time to whoop it up with Ann & the gals. If you haven't already done it, get your tail over to Ann's and add your blog links.

http://annagain66.blogspot.com/

Bye, see you later...

OOPS! I forgot some thing you say?

Oh yeah! A hoodoo is a fanciful name for a grotesque rock pinnacle or pedestal, usually of sandstone, that is a result of weathering in a semi-arid region. An outstanding example of a hoodoo occurs in the Wasatch Formation at Bryce Canyon, Utah. And that is a Hoodoo! Just thought you should know!




A "hoodoo" at Wasatch Formation at Bryce Canyon





And one last tidbit- If you're looking for a laugh, read the 1st article I ever had published HERE

7 comments:

Upstatemamma said...

Let's see I DID know that about 9 and multiplication table - it is pretty cool though. :) What irritates me most is the people who will drive on the wrong side of the road to get around you because you are doing the speed limit which is apparently not fast enough for them.

I am Harriet said...

9's are indeed very cool.

Have a fun Halloween and VGNO!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-much-candy-should-kid-eat-on.html

Tracie Nall said...

Now I am going to be looking for ways to slip Hoodoo into my daily conversation (because I'm a dork like that!)

I would never write blogging ideas on a tiny scrap of paper while driving, sitting in a movie theater, listening to my daughter tell me something meaningful, talking on the phone to one of my husband's business clients.........who am I kidding, I do it all the time!!

Happy VGNO!

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Happy GNO and I love the 9 thing... told my kids and then already knew that ( they are super cool and must know everything... NOT!!)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool about the 9 thing!

Lol at who would drive and take notes for a blog....guilty!

Yeah, I don't do swaps anymore. I got "burned" one year. Yeah yeah yeah...tis better to give then to receive...whatever, it sucked and tainted my view of bloggy swaps.

Julie from JulieChats said...

Sorry about the job thing! My husband was laid off for almost a year, hopefully yours finds a great new job soon!

Just stopping by late to say Happy Halloween, Happy VGNO & SO Happy my DUCKS beat USC!!! :)

Mrs4444 said...

Sorry about the anxiety you must be feeling over the job situation. We feel it, too, not because Mr.4444 is going to lose his job (though he very well could) but that he also HATES his boss. It makes for a miserable job, but it's a job. Good luck

I can't imagine ANYONE driving AND writing FF on paper! It's unheard of in my car, certainly!

I love that math trick. I just taught it to someone this week, but I didn't realize it worked for the big numbers, too. Very cool! :)

Thanks for joining in this week!